Dear Grace, You Have A Superpower

 You are a tenacious, smart, and influencing child with an insane memory. You see people like chess pieces and you play social situations like they are all part of the game... your game. 

The other word they have on the internet for you is HSP "Hyper Sensitive Person". Highly sensitive people are built more deeply, emotionally and mentally than most people. It reads. I agree. 

You are not on the spectrum, no. But you do have the ability to assess a vibe quicker than most. It's very cool. It's INSANE to watch. At 5 you can get what you want by using your mind and memory. 

Grace: "Poppy, can I have some chocolate"

Poppy: "Not Grace, Daddy said no"

Grace: "But Poppy, isn't this YOUR house, with YOUR rules" 

*Read between the lines old man, my Dad has no weight around here, you can overrule him"

Poppy: Laughing. "Grace, that's right, but I also think it's not good for you to have more chocolate"

I mean, for context, the level of understanding you have to have at 5 to know that this coaching reminding poppy of his authority to stroke his ego and get him onside to hand over the chocolate is a level of manipulation normally used in sales pitches in board rooms. It's impressive, girl!!

It's also challenging because I have had amazing Mum and Grace Days (yes, that's a thing), where we do Luna Park, sing to Taylor Swift, and cuddle and eat chocolate. At the end of the day you don't want to go into the bath and you tell me it's the WORST DAY EVER, and you don't love me anymore, hate me, wish you lived with Heather blah blah blah. 

The good news is, I am not a HSP, practically speaking and I know none of those things are true. I am an adult and you are a child and that means that you don't yet have control of your emotions, and I am meant to. 

But, I get frustrated, and I yell. Like my Mum and Dad did to me. It was OK, I was never scared or fearful, but I swore I would not yell the way I do with you. But here we are. 

Grace, I think you should know that raising you so far has been the biggest blessing. You stretch me to places I have never been before, but in this strange way, I feel closer to you the more we overcome. 

I know as we keep going we have ALOT more to come, and I think you will test me in ways that will make me sick, but all I hope is that you come back to me and we do it all together in our own way. 

My baby girl, you will always have me here, next to you in the amazing adventure of life, figuring it out together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 7: Absence Makes The Heart Grow, Guilty.

CHAPTER 4: LET IT GO